Surf Trip Travel - Health Information
Here are some tips to help you stay healthy when you travel to other countries:
Before you go
* Plan ahead. See your doctor at least 6 weeks before you leave. Some vaccines don't reach the highest protection until about 6 weeks after you get the shots.
* Have medical and dental check-ups before your trip, to be aware of problems and to find out about medicines you might want to take along.
* Be prepared. Find out what your health insurance will pay for if you see a doctor while you're in another country. Carry enough of your regular medicines in their original containers, along with extra prescriptions for them. Also bring your eyewear prescriptions. Wear a medical information bracelet if needed. Take along a first-aid kit (see suggestions below).
Vaccines you might get:
Your doctor will review the plans for your trip and decide if you need any vaccines. The vaccines you got when you were a child also may need to be updated if you are not fully protected. Vaccines that may be needed to protect you include the following:
* Hepatitis A or hepatitis A immune globulin
* Hepatitis B
* Influenza (the flu)
* Japanese encephalitis
* Meningococcal meningitis
* Tetanus and diphtheria toxoids
* Typhoid fever
* Varicella (chickenpox)
* Yellow fever
Back to Surf Trip Travel Resources...